Thursday, June 03, 2004

Let's aim for a bit of sporting and cultural flavour today.

I read in the paper this morning that Miss Australia won the Miss Universe pageant. Considering this site is a slight homage to the Miss Universe cause (only by title), I thought I'd give this near miraculous event some 'PR'. By the way, welcome to all those people who have done searches on "miss universe 2004" and unfortunately ended up here. Even though I am Australian (by citizenship) and share aspirations of donning my native traditional dress,1 I am afraid you have been duped by either yahoo, google or ninemsn (this is why you shouldn't buy shares in Google).

What luxury is it for a girl to claim that she "never really wanted to be a beauty queen" and "joked about Miss Universe as she watched it on television with her mother" but nevertheless goes on to winning the darn thing with minimal effort. Though I must say that her description of winning the pageant really perplexes me: "It's like having a really bad car accident - you don't see it coming and it changes your life significantly". Somehow, I would have used a more up-beat analogy ... but hey, I'd be happy if someone sings me the "you are my star ... la la la la" song. AND do you notice how quickly the runner-up gets whisked away when they announce the winner. We're talking milli-seconds. Isn't that the ultimate feeling of being a loser - being carted away because you don't deserve the limelight. Cut up.


For those that are partial to the NBA, it looks like it will be Detroit and L.A in the finals. And now I would like to make a bold statement - Detroit will win the championship. Why? No mathematics or probability involved (because I don't understand the crap). Purely due to the fact that the WNBA finals played out in exactly the same fashion and Detroit ended up stealing the championship convincingly.

And speaking of basketball, our team had a really good win last night. I haven't enjoyed a game of basketball as I much as I did last night for a long time. Hmmm that was a bit of a nebulous sentence. Nevertheless, enjoyment came at a cost. I am now suffering from what is medically coined as "blunt trauma" (colloquially known as a cork thigh). I'm a bit concerned in light of the fact that a certain resident of Hornsby Hospital did NOT know what a cork was. What are they teaching in med school these days? Oh yeah ... and I am NOT A CHOKER ANYMORE! YAY! Actually managed to sink all 4 of my free throws in the dying seconds of our tied game. I am now officially in the same league as Michael Jordan *cough* Looks like I'll have to take up softball soon.

Will have to be moving building soon, into an open plan office. Oh the horror! Though the kitchen is much better and there is a vending machine. But still ... OPEN PLAN! No more dodgy conversations on the phone.

Managed to eat foil yesterday after insisting on warming Sylvia's leftovers (which was wrapped in foil) in the microwave. I knew that it was going to catch on fire, but somehow I managed to convince myself that the laws of chemistry was not going to apply to me and my food that day. The power of denial ... it's what Dr Phil makes a living out of. So it caught on fire and melted bits of my lunch box. That lunch box has been through so much. First, it was dumped (down the loo), and now it's been burnt (via microwave). It's almost like it's been in a long-term relationship. So I ended up crunching on bits of aluminium foil, but hey, at least the food was yummolicious. You're a great cook Sylvia!

And Mindy ... when you're sliding into first, and you feel something burst ...

___________________________
1 http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2004/06/02/1086058896254.html