Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tokyo Drift

We have a brief sojourn in the wonderful city that is Tokyo, before beginning our journey to the Japanese winter wonderlands (Furano, Sapporo and Niseko).

The 9 hour Syd-Tokyo flight was marred by a dysfunction games console(robbing me the joy of probably being Tetris Queen). However the delicious red bean gelatin dessert was a good trade-off. It has been a precarious start to the holidays. Managed to lose my newly purchased, never worn, brand spanking new beanie on the airport to hotel transfer bus. Do you know how difficult it is to find a beanie that: a) fits my mong sized head; b) doesn't make my head look like a mushroom; and c) at an affordable price.

Anyway, acute sleep deprivation is really starting to kick in now. Thought I'd post some photos of one of my fave cities before catching some zzzzzs. Tokyo never ceases to amaze:

Everything is efficient and orderly ... (although some people clearly don't follow the rules)




Endearing quirkiness can be found everywhere ...



You can find the rest of these classic anti-smoking campaigns here

People are always thinking, for the greater good of society ...
Imagine my surprise when I came out of the shower and discovered this neat inventionn - see below - without the assistance of any human intervention. Absolutely ingenious huh?




A city that's always buzzing ...
This (below) is the infamous Shibuya intersection. If you look closely, you may be able to see the gang. I suspect Sharlene might be waving her arms around like a maniac in this photo.



Not to mention the availability of $5.50 ramen at 11 o'clock at night ...






And the Japanese version of homeless people ... (wonder what happened to his shoes)




And I haven't even started on the bidets yet. Until next time my beloved Tokyo ...

6 comments:

  1. It was good to be back in Tokyo, even though it was only for a night.

    We had a 5:20am shuttle bus to catch the next morning and we slept at 3am, and lo and behold, Marissa and I, ALMOST slept in, if it wasn't for Wayne's knocking at 5:10am, we would have missed the shuttle AND our flight to Furano. I've never been so panicked in getting ready, and probably made a Sharlene record in getting ready in 5mins! Phewwww....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey looks like you guys are having fun. I gotta visit Japan one day...
    see what you see!

    glad to see the blog updtaed too :D

    I saw the silly waving people in that city photo - is there always so many people walking around at night? damn!

    hey so... have fun at the snows. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AN PAN MAN!

    - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha sounds like you gang are having fun. Mars - that shower pic is more risque than cleavage shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marrisa - How many times have i told you - you're gonna ruin your camera if you keep taking it into the shower with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete