Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bucketing Coconut Shavings

Am currently in Niseko, and it's been snowing like crazy. I've been told that it was snowing at a rate of 10cms/hr. Sometimes, powder is not your friend. One example is when you become marooned on a flat in knee-deep snow (in a roped off area) with nil visibility and nil helpers. I seriously thought I was going to die, a la Titanic (or similar) tragedy. Managed to 'save' myself after 15 minutes of seemingly futile wriggling/jumping/crawling/sobbing etc. And all I got out of that exercise was a pair of FOGGY GOGGLES!

Took the train to Sapporo yesterday for the Sapporo Snow Festival - very pretty sight despite the cold weather. However some of the sculptures were starting to have the Dali effect due to the unusually warmer weather (didn't feel warm to me):





Can't finish a blog with an Anpanman reference:

4 comments:

  1. oh god, I've been missing out on so many blogs! I saw the first one but didn't realise it was going to be followed up by so many more!

    well it's good to see you guys having adventures in Japan - it's leaving me quite jealous. Here I sit in my state of being of having no life, and you and your friend are out there living it up in Japan! boo hoo hoo woe is me...

    oh well... glad to see you have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the fear of abandonment on the snow fields, I can relate. Where was your walkie talkie?! Who was your buddy? Didn't you kids have a buddy system! bah!

    That big sculpture with the whaling ship and whale is great. I'm guessing the 935 minke whales are carved inside the belly of the ship.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/whale-watch/missing-whale-activists-found-in-antarctic/2007/02/09/1170524271777.html

    Glad you're having fun. I 'm still waiting for some classic sharlene quotes??

    PS. I wish my neighbour totoro and his furry gang would kick Anpanman's stupid face in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insightful observation Bec re: 935 minke whales. Completely ignorant of local/world news while in Japan.

    And I took the Totoro photo for your benefit. I suspect that Anpanman will drown Totora in red bean mania and KILL him and his fury gang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:30 PM

    Marissa - mccheung here...was wondering how you've been and obviously you are having the time of your life and I am not so I HATE YOU! teehee!
    Hope you're enjoying ur trip. Catch u later. :-)

    ReplyDelete