Friday, October 01, 2004

Crème Brûlée vs Jell-O

Today's header is inspired by following conversation from the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" - one of my sentimental favourites largely due to the painfully neurotic and diabolical nature of the main character.

Jules: I'm better with food. You're Michael. You're at this classy french restaurant. You order ... crème brûlée for dessert. When it arrives, it's beautiful, it's sweet. It's irritatingly perfect. But suddenly, you realize you don't want crème brûlée. You want something else.
Kimmy:Well what does he want?
Jules: Jell-O.
Kimmy: Jell-O?? Why does he want Jell-O?
Jules: Well, he's more comfortable with Jello.
Kimmy: I can be Jello!
Jules: NOO!! You can never be the jello! Crème brûlée can never be Jell-O!!YOU could never be Jell-O.
Kimmy: I HAVE to be Jell-O!
Jules: You're never gonna be Jell-O!

So apparently you are either crème brûlée or Jell-O, and furthermore to this apparentness, I am the quintessential Jell-O according to the quintessential crème brûlée - Rebecca Lau. I guess the implication here is that I am irritatingly IMperfect and that I can never be like Cameron Diaz. Oh well, no Justin Timberlake for me. Can you have elements of Jell-O and crème brûlée? i.e. a bit of a bogan and a bit of Joey Potter-esque qualities?

I watched this rather interesting documentary last night and it enlightened me to following facts about dating/love/attachment:
  • When females are in their menstruation mid-cycle, they start dressing more proactively and acting more seductively in an attempt to attract the best sperm. Obviously this is done quite subconsciously. Although I can probably attest to this because I get really FAT LEGS towards the end of my cycle. I'm sure the world really needed to know that.
  • Females with the highest level of testosterone are often the most animated.
  • Pheromones travel up to 3 metres - I say throw away your perfume/aftershave!
  • We are attracted to people with lower voices, and this applies to both males and females apparently. As attraction builds between 2 people, you will hear their voices go deeper and deeper. So if you are a dude with a high voice/high-pitched laugh - get a new voice/laugh.
  • Females subconsciously pick partners via smell. Through smelling, we tend to choose a partner who's immune system is most unlike our own - I'm not sure what that implies for girls that pick men who get sick really easily.
  • Girls on the pill pick up the wrong smells. This means that if you were on the pill when you met your partner, you could have made the wrong choice - oopsies.

    I was truly stuck between a rock and a hard place on the train last night. On one side of me was a rather obese lady (not fat, but OBESE); and on the other side of me was a man reading the bible. And this was in the 5 seater bit of the train .... ROCK ... ME ... HARD PLACE! Then this morning on the emptiest train in the world, someone decided to sit next to me even though I made a specific effort to occupy 3/4 of my 2 seater. Maybe my pheromones travelled a bit too far this morning - har! ;p

    Saw a bit of Mark Latham's election speech last night. For a person that doesn't support the U.S, his delivery was remarkably similar to the U.S-style rhetoric. I don't know about these election speeches. They never seem genuine or down to earth. The audience claps on cue after every paragraph, and there is ALWAYS a reference to the wife/family without whom the candiate wouldn't be the person they are today, yada yada yada. It all seems too mechanical. I want robustness!

    Getting admitted next week - YAY! A bit scared about the parents meeting manager situation though. Very precarious indeed.

    Work is making me a bit loco - restructure happening (again) as well as some (forced) resignations. I will just have to take comfort in the fact that Seattle are in the next round of the playoffs and they won't be playing Diva Lisa Leslie's L.A! Hoorah!

    Will endeavour to make more frequent updates, but somehow, pictures tend to make a better blog entry than crappy words.