Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Precarious Start

01/01/06
Some idiot head had some kind of brain explosion and decided to vandalise my car. Not only is it now blemished to the factor of 10, it is also undrivable due to intrusive metal bits on front right tyre.

04/01/06
Today I saw my favourite and most respected colleague flee for the proverbial greener pastures - even a CityRail toilet cleaner looks pretty green at the moment ... bygones.
She was indeed a remarkable individual - passionate, diligent, incredibly bright and switched on, principled and inquisitive. Mind you, she was also rather anal, quirky and not one to suffer fools lightly - a category I may have fallen in one too many times. Despite the stark difference in fool-dom, knowledge and experience, it was a collaborative and never a condescending process. She is the truest example of 'leader by example'. I often marvel at her work & style with admiration. Both she and my (ex)manager have moulded my career-outlook (whatever you call it) in the most profound ways. Both individuals always had my best interests at heart (rare quality in the evil corporate world), and never treated me like a pleb. They challenged me time and time again. They have defined what, for me, success, intelligence and respect means. I question whether I will come across 2 such influential and remarkable characters in the remainder of my work-life. It seems somewhat unfair that I should be blessed with such an opportunity so early on.

What makes it that much more precarious is that fact that I have come to know these people not only as colleagues, but also as friends. They provided legitimate work-related stuff; and I provided light entertainment, gossip, frivolous emails and GMAIL!

Will be braving the not-so-green pastures like a nigel ... in the corner of the room (sing with me!)